A swift electrical power participate in target to commence the game established the tone in a dominant New York Islanders acquire from the incredibly gifted Tampa Bay Lightning. After some disappointing initiatives from the New York Rangers, it seemed like this game would be 1 to neglect from the greatest staff in the league hence considerably. Having said that, there is a purpose they participate in the video games, and much of the target scoring tonight unexpectedly arrived from The Ideal Fourth Line in Hockey, with all three linemates factoring on the scoresheet. A few initial period of time plans from Brock Nelson, Cal Clutterbuck, and Devon Toews gave the Islanders a lead that they never gave up, and Casey Cizikas extra to that in the 2nd period of time ahead of Josh Bailey’s 3rd period of time vacant netter to seal the acquire.
20 seconds into the game, Matt Martin drew a higher sticking penalty on Eric Cernak, placing the Islanders on the electrical power participate in. Brock Nelson acquired a wrist shot off right after acquiring the puck from Jordan Eberle, and his initial (!!) electrical power participate in target of the year gave the Islanders a 1- lead.
Just 16 seconds later on, Devon Toews scored his 3rd NHL target in 10 video games with a bomb from the blue line. Michael Dal Colle was capable to shield the puck, enabling it to slide up to Toews who produced no mistake.
Valtteri Filppula then took an offensive zone tripping penalty which put the hazardous Lightning on to the electrical power participate in, but the Islanders get the destroy. The Lightning’s only shot in the initial 10 minutes of the game arrived on that electrical power participate in.
Mathew Barzal had a breakaway prospect, but experimented with to out-deke Andrei Vasilvesky and finished up operating out of home. On a two on 1 the other way, Thomas Greiss produced a huge help you save on Mathieu Joseph.
The period of time arrived to a shut right after an abbreviated Tampa Bay electrical power participate in off a Cizikas hooking slight.
The Islanders opened the 2nd on the penalty destroy, and Greiss produced a number of excellent will save to continue to keep the three target lead. Anthony Beauvillier had a excellent prospect whilst slipping down with Anton Stralman at his back again, however Vasilevsky produced the help you save. Victor Hedman collided with the linesman and appeared to hit his head, and remaining the game from the bench a number of minutes later on and did not return. Greiss was under siege this period of time, making wonderful will save on Tampa’s star-studded roster.
A excellent defensive participate in by Casey Cizikas developed an offensive prospect, exactly where Cizikas drove at the rear of the web and wrapped it all-around to Johnny Boychuk at the blue line. Boychuk took a shot that Vasilevsky saved, but Matt Martin was capable to get the rebound and pass it off to Cizikas, who scored, extending the lead to 4-.
Cizikas then took a hold off of game penalty right after the puck hit the robo-cam positioned just out of participate in over the glass. Greiss was active in that penalty destroy, but preserved the 4- lead. Soon right after, a weak Ryan McDonagh shot would just take a slight bounce off Greiss’ adhere, enabling it to sneak by the five gap and placing the Lightning back again inside three to shut out the period of time.
This period of time was generally all Lightning, with Greiss coming up huge to make certain the Islanders’ lead remained. The most noteworthy second was when, with just under 10 minutes remaining, Tampa coach Jon Cooper pulled Vasilevsky for a 6 on 5 prospect right after the Barzal line iced the puck. The strategy was quite amazing, and highlighted an on the fly modify with Vasilevsky and his teammates to go back again in web. With just under five minutes remaining, the Bolts pulled the goalie yet again, and Greiss had to be sharp as the Isles have been hemmed into their have stop. It was Josh Bailey who capped off the acquire with an vacant web target, bringing the closing score to a 5-1 victory.
- Mat Barzal picked up another issue on Nelson’s electrical power participate in tally, bringing him up to 42 points in 44 video games, continuing his new warm streak.
- Brock Nelson has done most of his scoring at even toughness, but he picked a excellent time to get his initial electrical power participate in target of the year.
- Let’s speak about Devon Toews’ target. His target tonight was his 3rd of the year, tying him with fellow defensemen Ryan Pulock, Scott Mayfield, Johnny Boychuk, and Adam Pelech in just 10 video games. He’s been a large existence for the Islanders considering the fact that coming up from Bridgeport, and I just can’t consider that he’ll be despatched down.
- Thomas Greiss was at his greatest tonight, making 38 will save, including some essential kinds that ensured the score margin was as huge as it was. The goaltending from the two Greiss and Lehner has been nicely earlier mentioned expectations this year, and that’ll be vital likely forward, far too.
- Jon Cooper’s conclusion to pull Vasilevsky with all-around 10 minutes remaining was definitely amazing, and a strategy you hope the copycat NHL picks up additional frequently. With his staff down 4-1, could as nicely just take benefit of tired gamers right after an icing and try and score on a 6 on 5.
- Victor Hedman remaining the game with an upper overall body injury, but it seemed like he hit his head when he collided with 1 of the linesmen. With any luck , that injury isn’t far too critical.
Subsequent, the Islanders just take on the St. Louis Blues at the Barclays Center on Tuesday. Very last time these two met, the Islanders took dwelling a 4-3 acquire, the final of their 8-game acquire streak. The Isles are now sitting in the top wild card spot, and a acquire from the Blues could assistance give some much wanted separation from the other Eastern Convention groups competing for a playoff spot.